• Still to Come - JMI #9
  • JMI Classic: Road Trip Golf

    JMI Classic

    The official website of the Joe Merrill Invitational Golf Classic

    Sunday, May 14, 2006

    Road Trip Golf

    This week I took a trip to Portland, Oregon, and was able to take advantage of the fantastic weather to slip in my first nine holes of the year (actually, my first 13 holes of the year) on Tuesday afternoon. My buddy Ralph and I teed off on the Great Blue Course, a Robert Trent Jones, Jr. layout at Heron Lakes in Portland.


    Ralph chips one close.


    The course is pretty wide open, with a lot of water, rolling hills and fast greens. There are not a lot of trees that come into play. It's a fun layout that is reasonably priced and with a very friendly staff. It's a pretty course, too, with the back nine featuring impressive (and gorgeous) views of Mount Hood 45 miles distant.

    I shot a 51 on the front (mid season form!), striking my drives well and struggling a bit with my short game (mid season form!). Although I had to cut my round short due to dinner obligations, it was a lot of fun to get out. I would definitely recommend Heron Lakes to anybody playing in the Portland, OR area.

    Mt. Hood looms.

    2 Comments:

    • At May 15, 2006 12:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

      OK - I just read your baseball blog - now your making me jealous. At what part of this trip did you acutally work?

       
    • At May 15, 2006 3:30 PM, Blogger Joe said…

      Lessee -
      Tu: Fly, golf, dinner with the CFO (work), cocktail reception (work), drinks at the hotel bar
      We: 8 hrs powerpoint (work), dinner with regional folks (work), brewpub tour
      Th: 8 hrs powerpoint (work), ballgame with beer/hot dog dinner, brewpub tour continued
      Fr: Field trip to Sandy River Gorge with 5-hr hike (work), dinner, thoughts of continued brewpub tour, collapse
      Sa: Fly home

      Some of the work items could use ""'s around them, but that's a lot of work time!

       

    Post a Comment

    << Home